- Third of Honolulu renters spend half their income on rent, Harvard study finds December 16, 2017
More than half of renters in Honolulu are spending more than a third of their income on rent each month, and 29 percent are spending more than 50 percent of their monthly income, according to a national rent study by the Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University. Among the 100 largest cities in the United States, Honolulu has the fourth-highest rent. The median renter income in Honolulu is $57,500, while the median rent is $1,560, the report found. The median percent of income that…
- Some military in Hawaii to see double-digit housing increases December 16, 2017
Some military personnel stationed in Hawaii who have no dependents will see double-digit increases in their basic allowance for housing rates for 2018, much higher than the national average. The Department of Defense on Friday said housing allowance rates would increase by an average of 0.7 percent starting on Jan. 1 for about 1 million service members around the world. The rates are calculated using median rents and average utilities in each location. The rates and increases are balanced by member…
- Transportation, housing top Silicon Valley Leadership Group priorities December 15, 2017
Other priorities the region's top C-suite organization approved included efforts to diversify STEM education and bolster cybersecurity efforts.
- Patti Payne's Cool Pads: Defense lawyer lists his Shangri-La for $1.8 million December 15, 2017
Retired criminal defense attorney James Newton is selling his Copper Rock Estate, five acres in Auburn he has developed into his personal Shangri-La. “I dealt with some difficult cases and difficult people, and when I came home it was like going to a resort every single day,” he said. The private estate is listed at $1.8 million. Windermere Broker Kevin Bohnert has the listing of this beautifully landscaped property with sweeping southern views, waterfalls and ponds. On it is a 9,300-square-foot…
- Developer given deadline to show progress on downtown high-rise December 15, 2017
Developer John Saca has until July to show progress on the mixed-use high-rise project The Metropolitan in downtown Sacramento.